Garmin Communicator Not working - Express FIT files upload instead

justal  Mar 15th 2015 at 11:15
justal
Hello,
It looks as though the latest updates to Chrome have stopped the Garmin Communicator Plugin from working (Mac OSX 10.10.2)
The communicator plugin doesn't seem to work in Firefox or Safari anymore either, nor in Opera, so I am unable to use the Import from Garmin Device feature of TriBlogs anymore.

In Chrome I get a message saying the it no longer supports the Garmin Communicator plugin, whereas in the other browsers I get the Triblogs message saying that the Communicator Plugin isn't working, despite the fact that I have the plugin installed.

I've therefore decided to upload my files manually from the .fit files created by Garmin Express. However, Triblogs is expecting them to have a different date format in the file name to those that Garmin now uses... This means that the files don't get associated with sessions I have planned within my Triblogs Plan.

Is there any chance of coding the .fit import script to recognise the new format in Garmin .fit files please.

The old format that you currently support uses the old convention yyyymmddhhiiss i.e. today would be 20150315111024
Garmin now uses the following format: 2015-03-15 11/00/52 +0000_6 at the beginning of it's filenames.

If you could update the import script to recognise Garmin's new file naming convention I think I'll be able to upload my files to Triblogs properly again (albeit manually).

Thanks,
Al.

8 replies

justal  Apr 17th 2015 at 05:57
justal
Hi Dave,
Any ideas on this? I now have a Garmin Fenix 3 and can't seem to find the FIT files that this generates anywhere on my Hard Drive.... Now the only way to get my files into TriBlogs is to first export the FIT files from Garmin Connect and then import them into TriBlogs which is just too much hassle.

Does the Fenix 3 still save the FIT files to my Hard Drive - if so, do you know where they are.

Is there anyway you can implement an auto-sync from Garmin Connect, as it would be a shame to have to stop using TriBlogs, but if I can't upload my activities to it, then there is little point using it.

Thanks,
Al.
 Oziem Oziem: I'm afraid I dont have a fenix 3 to test.
Apr 21st 2015 07:41

jamiebennett  Apr 20th 2015 at 11:58
jamiebennett
I'm using a Forerunner 620 and Safari that is working at the moment. Garmin Swim gives the dreaded red 'X' and if I try to export .fit files from Garmin Connect it does not take into consideration the rest pauses between sets so some of the data is lost (not to mention all the times are off). Was considering a Fenix 3 but may hold off for a while.

Syncing is a very manual process at the moment, I'm used to TrainingPeaks which has a nice auto sync and Triblogs is a step backwards from that experience.

Oziem  Apr 21st 2015 at 07:31
Oziem
Hi guys,

Web browsers are stopping support for NPAPI which means the garmin communicator plugin would need to be reworked by garmin. But it looks like they are not going to do that ( http://www.garmindeveloper.com/web-device/garmin-communicator-plugin/ ).

They want everyone to use their new garmin api ( http://developer.garmin.com/garmin-connect-api/overview/ ) which
1. I would need to commit a large amount of time too, and
2. would cost $5,000 for us to use (we turnover less than that in a year!)

Therefore, we have no choice, the garmin plugin is going to be phased out completely. The only way to transfer files will be using the TCX and FIT file uploader. The only automation alternative that I have would be to create a windows service to check a directory for new files. This is obviously not going to help mac users :(
"Must tri harder"

Oziem  Apr 21st 2015 at 07:42
Oziem
re: The old format that you currently support uses the old convention yyyymmddhhiiss i.e. today would be 20150315111024

Try now...
 justal justal: Hi Dave, That may now work, but as you've seen above I now have a Fenix 3 and it seems as though the FIT files from this are formatted differently again. There doesn't appear to be any datestamp info in the file name.. Would it help if I send you a copy of a FIT file from the Fenix 3? Al.
Apr 21st 2015 08:43
"Must tri harder"

Oziem  Apr 21st 2015 at 07:42
Oziem
If anyone has an idea or solution to this I am open to suggestions
"Must tri harder"

justal  Apr 22nd 2015 at 05:30
justal
Another idea might be to allow syncing with Strava or syncing via something like Tapirik?

Certainly worth investigating and probably a lot cheaper than paying the Garmin fees.

Al.

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join