GPS Upload

peterruel  Mar 5th 2012 at 01:54
peterruel
Is there a way that a Garmin .TCX file can be manually selected and uploaded?

My GPS device allows me to output the .TCX file even though it is not a Garmin. The Garmin Connect module at Garmin Connect allows for a manual upload ( http://connect.garmin.com/transfer/upload#) I realize that Triblogs uses the Garmin Connect module, but I can not find where to do a manual .TCX upload at Triblogs.

Any help would be appreciated.

18 replies

Oziem  Mar 5th 2012 at 09:36
Oziem
Hi Peter,

At the moment we don't have a manual TCX upload but I will add this to my todo list. Thanks for the suggestion

Dave
"Must tri harder"

peterruel  Mar 5th 2012 at 15:54
peterruel
Thanks Dave,

One of the reasons I went with the premium was for the GPS upload, so anything you can do would be appreciated, I thought the Garmin Connect would have the manual upload. I use the Mio Quest GPS (also marketed by Schwinn and New Balance) and it works excellent, it is a great value and can output the .TCX, this may also help some of the Garmin users who have had problems uploading data. Having the manual .TCX upload would also allow some iPhone and Android apps to interface with TriBlogs.

By the way I find the site to be the nicest one out there (I do some web development and appreciate the work that goes into it), it is clean, easy to use, and I love that you can manually add your training plans.

Oziem  Mar 5th 2012 at 19:33
Oziem
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback, I love hearing things like that, makes it worth while :) Could you write a few sentences for our guestbook?

triblogs.com/help/guestbook/
triblogs.com/survey/?r=Guestbook

Also, could you email me (dave at triblogs.com) an example of the TCX files that you'd like to upload it will be useful for me to double check what I'm doing.

Dave
"Must tri harder"

peterruel  Mar 5th 2012 at 21:29
peterruel
Dave,

I will get you an example this evening, and again thanks.

Peter

LorisB72  Mar 13th 2012 at 08:05
LorisB72
Hi Dave, I'm new to the site and love the format, I'm currently trying out a few sites (Training Peaks and Beginner Triathlete are the others) to see what works best for me (I'm having a few technical problems with TP and don't like BT layout).

The only concern I have with using triblogs is that I can't download my .tcx file history and I don't want to spend valuable training time sitting at the computer manually typing it in (plus you don't get the same level of data with a manual diary log), please can you give me an idea when you think this may be available ?

Many thanks and keep up the great work, definitely my favourite site out of the three I'm testing out!

thanks
Lorraine
 Oziem Oziem: Hi Loris, I'm working on this currently. Fortunately, I have written most of the code that it requires already, so this feature (uploading TCX files manually) should be available hopefully by Saturday or Sunday this week.
Mar 13th 2012 10:59

peterruel  Mar 13th 2012 at 11:08
peterruel
Way to go Dave,- Dave is THE Man!
 Oziem Oziem: :)
Mar 13th 2012 17:07

LorisB72  Mar 13th 2012 at 16:56
LorisB72
That's great news, thanks Dave :o)) I'm planning to try and convert my husband off of Training Peaks this weekend too!

Many thanks
Loris
 Oziem Oziem: Brilliant thanks for your support :)
Mar 13th 2012 17:09

peterruel  Mar 18th 2012 at 13:42
peterruel
Dave, IT WORKS AWESOME!! thanks man. This opens up a lot of options. I am going to do some testing with some different iPhone Apps that out put .ycx files and I will keep you updated, if you like?

LorisB72  Mar 19th 2012 at 10:39
LorisB72
Thanks for sorting so quickly Dave, I'll be busy this week loading my history :o)

Btw I notice you have an option to select multisport activities (ie bike/run) but the files are downloaded separately. Is there anyway to load as one workout (including transition time) ? If it helps, this is something that can be done in training peaks.

Many thanks again !
Loris

TriBlogs  Mar 20th 2012 at 18:45
TriBlogs
Hi Loris, thanks for the feedback :o)

We'll look into this and get back to you.
TriBlogs: Plan, Record, Analyse and Share your Triathlon experiences

Flan  Jun 10th 2012 at 13:16
Flan
Hi Dave, I have just returned from a week of cycling in the Alps. I have 6 rides worth of data on my Garmin 705. All seems to work OK until the last point when I get an error message from Triblogs. Is there a limit to the file transfer when uploading?
 Oziem Oziem: Hi Flan, we break the upload down into small chunks so its not possible for it to be a file transfer limit. What error message do you see? do you reach the page where you pick which sessions to add to your diary?
Jun 10th 2012 15:16

Flan  Jun 10th 2012 at 21:16
Flan
Just after Step 3 it Says something like. "Activities Received 100% then it gives "Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving triblogs.com/garmin/translate/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfil the request."
I have been able to get all but two files uploaded individually.
 Oziem Oziem: Mucho respcto, your tcx files are so big ive had to raise the memory limit on my script! Must have been a monster ride ;) I've doubled the memory limit so I wouldn't expect this to happen again
Jun 11th 2012 18:45

kellydavies80  Sep 10th 2013 at 18:19
kellydavies80
Hi, I realise that this thread is a little old now, but I have a suggestion for the TCX file upload utility. It would be really nice if I didn't lose the session description and notes when using the upload to complete a planned session. My coach and I spend quite a bit of time writing the session details and it makes looking back at historical session difficult when the upload removes the comments. Thanks, Ian.

You must log in or join to post a message here.

Welcome to TriBlogs the free online training solution.

Plan, record, analyse and share your triathlon experiences. Click here to join